Friday 2 December 2011

Waveforms and Heart Monitors

The inspiration for the visual side of my animation has come mainly from wave forms and hospital heart monitors. Yes.


"Waveform means the shape and form of a signal such as a wave moving in a physical medium or an abstract representation.
In many cases the medium in which the wave is being propagated does not permit a direct visual image of the form. In these cases, the term 'waveform' refers to the shape of a graph of the varying quantity against time or distance. An instrument called an oscilloscope can be used to pictorially represent a wave as a repeating image on a screen. By extension, the term 'waveform' also describes the shape of the graph of any varying quantity against time." - wikipedia

500px-Waveforms.svg.png

When uploading my track to my computer, I was presented with a visual representation of the music in this form. This has led to the bizarre circumstance in which I am animating a visual representation of music while using another visual representation of this music as a guide. Confusing.

Here I am doing exactly that!

Heart Monitors:

The visuals on a heart monitor used in hospitals have provided the other inspiration for my visuals. This idea occurred to me when a friend suggested I animate to the 'heartbeat' of the music.
763286-xs%255B1%255D.jpg
A digital representation of one's ticker.

Below is a kind-of teaser of my final piece. Here it exists as it was produced, with no editing as of yet, however that will change as the piece nears completion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment